Military and Civilian CAC holders:
All Military and Civilian CAC holders are required to reset their password with their CAC to obtain a 150-day password. If you do not reset your password while CAC logged into your account, the password will only be valid for 30 days. There is a maximum limit of 5 times that you can reset your password without your CAC, this includes a password that was reset by using the ‘Reset Password’ link or a password reset by the Help Desk. After the 5th time, you will need to reset your password while logged into your AKO/DKO account with your CAC. For further information, please Click Here(189).
How To Reset Your Password With the ‘Reset Password’ Link:
- Go to https://www.us.army.mil.
- Click the blue password reset link located under the login box.
- A new window will open. Enter your AKO/DKO username (without the @us.army.mil) or your registration/external email address.
- Select an option for assistance (depending on your account type you will see the following options):
- “RESET Your Password Using your CAC”: You will need to have your CAC registered with your AKO/DKO account to use this option.
1. Click “GO” and log into AKO with your CAC
2. Click “My Account” in the upper left corner
3. Click “Account Settings” then “Change Password”
- “RESET Your Password Via Email”: An email will be sent to your external/registration email address. Follow the instructions in the email to reset your password.
- Note: A valid Registration/External email address must already be set on the account.
- “RESET Your Password Using Your Security Questions”: These are the security questions that you have set up within your account, and not your 15 KBA Security Questions.
Note: The questions must be answered in the same format as was entered, including capitalization, punctuation, and spacing.
- “RESET Your Password by Entering Your Expired Password”: This option is only available if your password has expired.
How To Reset Your Password while logged into your Account:
To reset your password while logged into your account, you will need to
- Log into your AKO/DKO account.
- Click on the ‘My Account’ tab.
- Click on ‘Account Settings’.
- Click on ‘Change Password’.
Military or civilian CAC holders are required to log into AKO/DKO with your CAC to reset the password. Make sure that the greeting in your browser’s title bar reads, “Army Knowledge Online – [your username here] (CAC Session)”. This indicates you are logged into your account with your CAC.
Do You Have a Sponsored or Retiree Account?
You can reset your password for 150 days by using any of the methods mentioned above. You are not required to use a CAC to reset your password.
What Should You Do if You Cannot Reset Your Password?
You can only reset your password 5 times without your CAC. After resetting the password the 5th time, you will receive a message in red that states: “You cannot reset your password using this service. Please contact the Help Desk for further assistance by clicking the ‘Help’ link at the top of this page.” If you get this message you will need to reset your password with your CAC or contact the Help Desk.
It is not necessary to log in every 30 days to reset your password. You can wait an indefinite amount of time; you will simply be required to change your password again if your password has expired.
Need More Assistance?
If you do not have access to a computer with CAC reader and your registered email address has changed since the time your account was established, the AKO/DKO Help Desk can update your account with your current email address. Please email the AKO/DKO help desk at email@example.com. If you have a sponsored account, you will need to contact the help desk via phone for further assistance.