Army accounts are available to users who have a current entry in the Army Personnel system. You can get more information about AKO Login here. These entries correspond to the following account types:
- Active Army
- Army Retired
- Army Reserve
- Individual Ready Reserve
- National Guard
- DA Civilian
- DA Civilian Retired
- NAF Civilian
- U.S. Military Academy Cadets
- ROTC Cadets (MS III and IV)
- Future Soldier
If a user corresponds to two categories – for instance, Army Retired and DA Civilian – this user will receive dual-account status as long as both records appear in the Army Personnel database.
How to Register
To register for a full AKO account:
- Go to https://www.us.army.mil
- Click on the ‘I Accept’ button after reading the agreement
- If you have a CAC card, click on the link “Register with CAC”, if not, click on the link “Register without CAC”.
- If registering with a CAC; When prompted, enter your PIN or select your certificate.
- Enter your Social Security Number, or Foreign Identification Number.
- Enter your Date of Birth or PEBD.
- Enter your complete contact details and click ‘Next’
(Double check your entries; this must match your exact legal name.)
- Enter an external email address (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) and click ‘Next’ (If the portal locates your information in a military/personnel database, different fields will autofill and this may change the order of the following steps).
- Enter the contact details for your organization and click ‘Next’
- Enter a password of your choosing into both password fields (Your password must adhere to the guidelines listed at the top of the registration page).
- Choose 3 security questions, provide answers and click ‘Complete Registration’ (Your security questions are very important. You will need to remember these answers and when performing a password reset, you will need to enter them exactly as you do when setting them up, including capitalization and punctuation.)
- Print the confirmation screen for your records. Your registration is now complete and your account will be active within 15 – 20 minutes. If you are unable to login to your account within 30 minutes, please contact the helpdesk for assistance.
To validate their identity, new users creating Army accounts must present three pieces of information: Social Security number, date of birth, and pay entry base date (PEBD). A new user then enters a password, answers three security questions, and provides an external email address. Once the registration process is complete, a user may access the system within 15 minutes.